MedPAN - 2014 Call for Small Projects
- Created on Monday, 14 April 2014 09:52
Dear Sir or Madam,
MedPAN is launching on April 14th a new Call for Small Projects (CSP) to support the actions led in Marine Protected Areas (MPA) in the Mediterranean.
The aim of this Call for small projects is to:
- Reinforce the management of the MPAs from an Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM) and sustainable financing perspectives,
- Support sustainable management and development of economic activities, especially tourism and fishing.
This Call for small projects is split into 2 parts:
- Call for Small Projects – Part A (CSP A): for project/actions implemented by MPA managers or by organizations responsible or involved in the MPA management. The organizations must be MedPAN members or become members of the MedPAN Association before the implementation of the project – or be partners of the MedPAN Association.
The activities concerned by CSP A are:
- Management Planning from an ICZM perspective,
- Innovative financing mechanisms,
- Sustainable fisheries management,
- Sustainable tourism management.
- Call for Small Projects – Part B (CSP B): for actions undertaken by organizations (NGOs, private companies, scientific institutions, and so on…) collaborating with MPA managers who are MedPAN members (or future members of the MedPAN Association) or MedPAN partners.
The activities concerned by CSP B are:
- Developing sustainable tourism activities in MPAs,
- Developing sustainable and alternatives fishing activities in MPAs.
Please download the rules and the grant application form. Make sure to select the appropriate folder (CSP A or CSP B).
The call for small projects is open between April 14th and May 30th 2014 at 6 pm. The MPA managers and their partners who wish to participate will need to send a grant application form to the MedPAN Secretariat during this period. The best projects will be selected by June 30th 2014.
You will find all the details regarding participation eligibility, the type of projects that are required and the selection process in the rules document of the Call for Small Project.
To submit a grant request:
1. Read carefully the rules and assess whether your structure and project are eligible.
2. Fill in the grant application form.
If your MPA or the MPA concerned by the project is not yet member of MedPAN, please fill-in the form "Member application form 2014" and send it back to us as soon as possible before the 30 May 2014.
Don't hesitate to contact us for any question about this call for small projects.
This call for small projects is made possible through the support of the French Global Environment Facility (FFEM), the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation and the MAVA Foundation.
The MedPAN team
6th PEGASO newsletter
- Created on Tuesday, 25 March 2014 11:25
A new PEGASO newsletter can be read online at http://www.uicnmed.org/newsletter/2014/pegaso_informs6_en.htm or click here for the French version.
Science for MPA Management - Artisanal Fisheries in the Mediterranean
- Created on Wednesday, 05 March 2014 14:28
Welcome to the first edition of ‘Science for MPA management’! It is a new service from MedPAN to its members and partners that provides a scientific overview of a specific topic, presenting the most significant scientific works in a language accessible to all.
This first edition focuses on Artisanal Fisheries in the Mediterranean, a key topic for most MPA managers. It takes a look at the global and the Mediterranean context, the need to strengthen the profession in the Mediterranean and the implications for MPA managers. Download Science for MPA Management, Issue 1.
From MedPAN's mailing list
Newsletter MedPan January 2014
- Created on Tuesday, 11 February 2014 11:16
And a belated happy new year to all of you! 2014 looks out to be important for MedPAN and Mediterranean Marine Protected Areas. The year will be marked by the consolidation of several actions initiated in 2013 as part of the new 2013-2017 MedPAN network strategy.
Worth noting are the ongoing development of the MedPAN website, the launch of a 4th call for Small Project in the second quarter, the set up of exchange visits between MPAs, the organisation of a regional training on climate change and the representation of the network in many important events including the IUCN World Parks Congress and the Convention of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity.
This newsletter gathers some of the latest activity published on the MedPAN website. Please keep in mind that we encourage you to contact us should you have information you want to share with the MedPAN network of MPA managers in the Mediterranean.
The MedPAN Secretariat
International Training Workshop on Integrated Coastal Management in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea (MEDCOAST Institute 2014), 26 August - 11 September 2014
- Created on Wednesday, 29 January 2014 08:18
Please find the flyer of the Tenth International Training Workshop on Integrated Coastal Management in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea (MEDCOAST Institute 2014), 26 August - 11 September 2014, Dalyan-Aegean Coast-Dalyan (Turkey) here.
MEDCOAST Institute is a flagship event organised by our foundation since 1994, probably being the longest running effort for international ICM training. This 17-day long unique workshop offers an opportunity for hands-on training on the latest ICM developments in a pleasant, friendly atmosphere and includes a study tour along the southern Turkish Aegean coast for seven days on traditional Turkish wooden sailing boats (gullets). The maximum number of participants for the final MEDCOAST Institute will be 25. The latest date for application is 30 May 2014.
We are proud to have trained 155 alumni representing 27 countries at the past 9 Institutes, several of them presently being the leaders of national and regional ICM efforts and programs. We wish to increase the number to 180 with the closing event of the series. MEDCOAST Foundation will offer new modules of international training in ICM related subjects starting with 2015.
We request you to kindly share the attached flier with people who could be potential participants.
Prof.Dr. Erdal Özhan
President, MEDCOAST Foundation
Director, MEDCOAST Institute 2014
Training announcement on “Integrated Coastal Sustainable Development”
- Created on Monday, 27 January 2014 14:26
To the kind attention of PEGASO partners / PAP/RAC / RAC/SPA / MedPartnership / MAP Focal Points of Egypt / Lebanon / Tunisia / Palestine.
As part of its regional development aid, the Swedish International Development and Cooperation Agency (SIDA) is organizing a training program on the Sustainable Development of Coastal Areas for the Middle East and North Africa region. The beneficiary countries are Egypt , Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine and Tunisia. The program's objective is to contribute to an integrated and sustainable development of coastal areas and supporting the process of change within institutions involved in the planning, development and management of coastal areas as well as the public sector, private, civil society and NGOs, universities and research centers, communication industry and journalism, etc..
The program runs from June 2014 to October 2015 and consists of 5 phases comprising three phases of study remotely from the participating countries and the two scheduled classes respectively 1 to 18 September 2014 in Sweden and 1 to 12 February 2015 in one of the participating countries in the MENA region.
SIDA covers all costs of participation and accommodation with the exception of travel to and from Sweden. Travel expenses for participation in organized in February 2015 in one of the participating countries, however, are covered by SIDA.
For all intents and purposes, you will find more on the following link: http://www.niras.com, where you can find the programme brochure and application form.
2nd international ocean research conference in Barcelona, 17-21 November 2014
- Created on Monday, 27 January 2014 09:51
The conference, organized by the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO, the Oceanography Society and the Fundacio Navegacio Oceànica Barcelona, will be the opportunity to review progress made in ocean science in the last twenty years, and plan ahead in light of important policy developments such as The Future We Want (UNCSD Rio+20) and Future Earth.
The topics of the conference are the following ones:
1. Building scientific knowledge. Marine research and observations for climate, ecosystem functioning and security
2. Applying knowledge for societal benefit. Achieving ecosystem management and sustainability
3. Improving governance and building capacity
Deadline for abstract submission: 31 May 2014
50 grants of 300€ (lump sum) will be available to early career scientists. This sum should cover 5 nights’ accommodation costs in Barcelona.
To be eligible for a grant:
- Early career scientists – postgraduates under 38 of age.
- Submission of an abstract is mandatory when applying for a grant.
- Abstracts will be evaluated on the basis of technical quality and relevance to the topics.
- Successful applicants will receive a reply by mid June.
2nd edition of the Tour du Valat Young Scientists conference
- Created on Tuesday, 21 January 2014 07:49
The 2nd edition of the Tour du Valat Young Scientists conference on Mediterranean Conservation Sciences will take place from 28th to 30th April 2014, Tour du Valat, Camargue (France).
PEGASO Final Conference, Antalya 14 to 17th of January
- Created on Thursday, 16 January 2014 15:51
The PEGASO Final Conference took place in Beldibi (Antalya, Turkey), from 14th to 17th of January. The meeting focused on:
- the ICZM Regional Governance Platform in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea,
- the ICZM/MSP policies in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea,
- the future of PEGASO.
The meeting was attended by a wide range of institutes and networks from the Mediterranean and Black Sea and representatives of ICZM initiatives from other regional seas.
A technical field trip to the south-western coast of the Antalya Bay was held to end this meeting.
With this meeting the project comes to a closure on the 31st of January after 4 years of collaboration.
Thanks to all partners, end-users, CASES and in particular the coordinator UAB!!
- Created on Thursday, 02 January 2014 15:17
Happy New Year to all the members of the PEGASO team!